Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Tigers Card Tuesday...The BOYD Binder

Today's Tigers Card Tuesday! post is a bit different, but it's something I've ment to do for awhile, but just haven't gotten it started. 


πŸ’™ The BOYD Binder is my collection of cards that started because Matthew Boyd became a member of my favorite baseball team, the Detroit Tigers, and, well, his last name is my middle name, and so, he instantly became my favorite Tigers player.



πŸ‘Ά Growing up I was always called by my middle name, mostly because I had two Grandfather's, an Uncle, and probably a few other relatives named John, so, to avoid the confusion, everyone, mostly, started to call me "Boyd."


⚾ The first baseball player I remember sharing a name with was Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd, a pitcher for the Boston Red Sox and Montreal Expos in the 1980s.

I had a few of "Oil Can's" cards, but what is most unique about the two of us is that I spent about a month, or so, on Navy "A" School in his hometown of Meridian, Mississippi.

🏈 The first football player w/ my middle name that I can recall was former Green Bay Packers wide out "BOYD" Dowler, of the great Lombardi Packers of the 1960s.


πŸ“˜ The Boyd Binder is ever going, and I hope that Matthew stays the rest of his big league career w/ my beloved Tigers, but, of course, I'll continue to collect his cards as long as they make them, no matter the team. 


Recently, I posted that I'd passed 100 different Matthew Boyd cards, , quite the accomplishment, and I'm on my way to 200! 



"Boyd" cards in my collection. (137 cards)

• Matthew Boyd (107 cards)


            Card #107, 2020 Topps Triple Thread                             Matthew Boyd, #1/3.

 Easily the BEST Matthew Boyd card that I own! 

I can't believe that I actually own this awesome card...and that the card is BLUE, and that you can feel the Navy Blue stripe that was part of the Old English D on the Tigers uniform! 


πŸ‘‰While Matthew will always be the easy majority in the BB, there are other cards in the Boyd collection as well, and, they are...


• Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd (18)

• Tyler Boyd (3)

• Bob Boyd - Baseball (2)
• Bob Boyd - Football (1)

• Tajh Boyd  (2)

• Travis Boyd (1)

• Fred Boyd (1)

• James Boyd (1)


• BOYD Dowler (1)


Hey! 

Before I finished up this post, Matthew Boyd and his wife, Ashley, were live on Instagram, talking baseball, and his charity, 



The mission of the Kingdom Home is to end sex slavery....Tracy and I support a young girl, named, Tracey, w/ $20.00 a month.

It's still "Giving Tuesday," and it will be for awhile, as Matt and Ashley are back in the Seattle area, so, if you can, please give...the minimum amount is $5.00, and, if you're reading this after Tuesday, it's still OK to donate.


🐯⚾ I did get Matt to answer a question... 

"have you talked to A.J. yet." in reference to new Tigers Skipper A.J. Hinch.

πŸ€” He said that he had, that he likes A.J., and looked forward to playing for him.

🐯⚾ Matthew also referenced that Hinch was a catcher on the 119 loss Tigers team of 2003.


Hope y'all have an awesome week, and I appreciate the fact that you took time out of your day to stop by and read this post.



Play BALL! 🐯⚾




3 comments:

  1. Lots of Boyds for your to collect. And that Triple Threads card is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Boyd Sharp! Did you hear that much as a kid?? ;)

    ReplyDelete