Monday, December 21, 2020

Monday Mopup...Lions Lose, Tom Brady wins, and the Red Wings are Back!

Well, it was, as it has so often, a less than stellar weekend of football in the house, and, of course, the "less" part belongs to my Detroit Lions.

🦁🏈 Matthew Stafford played his heart out, as he usually does, with injured ribs and throwing finger, only to see the offense lose two fumbles, one on the goal line, and miss an extra point, as Detroit was run over by the Titans, 46-25, in Nashville.




🦁 It's really a shame that the Lions have spent 12 years of Stafford as their QB by wasting draft pick after draft pick, and, as with Barry Sanders, running the best receiver in team history, Calvin Johnson, into retirement.


🌈 As has been the case in the last 20 years, my weekend was at least partly salvaged, as the great Michigan QB, Tom Brady, led his team to a cone from behind win in Atlanta.



I don't like it when the Lions play against Brady.

It's not because I expect the Lions to lose (of course I want them to win), but I don't want Brady to get hurt, and in a game like this, with the Lions having nothing to lose, it's easy to see a freak injury happening. 





🏒 Elsewhere in my sports world, the NHL announced on Sunday that the league would be back on the ice on January 13, 2021, and I'm very excited to see my Detroit Red Wings back playing meaningful games again.


When hockey came back during the summer, the Red Wings were left on the outside of the playoff picture, and they couldn't play, so, it's been a very long time for us fans who love watching one of the Original 6 squads...and the most successful American based team in the NHL. 


                 11 Stanley Cup Championships! 

Also, our local team here, the Kalamazoo Wings, won't play hockey because of the Covid-19 pandemic, making my Red Wings, as well as Michigan hockey, my main focus by his winter.


🤔 How's your football team doing?
  
🤔 Are you a hockey fan?

🤔 Do you have a favorite player that doesn't play for your favorite team?


Have a terrific week... Play BALL!  🏈🏒





5 comments:

  1. They're 4-9-1 with a QB controversy brewing and a big cap problem.

    Not really, though I've been somewhat of a fan from time to time in the past. The first games I saw on TV were the Flyers' 1987 playoff run. Then the Sharks showed up in the early '90s. I was living in Philly in '97, so that was a thing. Haven't really followed it since.

    I used to, but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flyers goalie Ron Hextal was absolutely amazing against Edmonton in the Cup Final.

      Delete
  2. Both of my football teams will be in the playoffs... but I'm not really confident in either of them like I've been in the past. I like hockey... but the Sharks are in a rebuilding phase... which kind of stinks since they have some solid veteran talent. Kurt Suzuki is the main guy I root for outside of the A's and Padres... but I also like Kershaw and some of those young stars like Soto, Acuna, and Jimenez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of playoff battles between the Sharks and Red Wings over the years...many a late nights watching hockey and having to work the morning.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't stand the Red Wings throughout the 90's. You guys were so good... and my buddy was a huge Fedorov fan, so he'd rub it in my face. But time heals all wounds and now I focus my frustration on the Knights, Ducks, and sometimes Kings.

      Delete