Monday, January 28, 2019

Card Corner... 2019 Topps Card #1

Today Topps revealed that card #1 in this years base set of cards is Atlanta Braves phenom Ronald Acuna, Jr.





Acuna, Jr.,  who turned just 21 in December, won the Topps Fan Vote for the coveted card #1.

Previous winners of the fan vote are Mike Trout (2016), Kris Bryant (2017), and Aaron Judge (2018).



For purposes of open transparency,  I cast my Topps #1 card vote for my favorite southpaw hurler, #48 of the Detroit Tigers,  Matthew Boyd.


Series 1 has already been poorly received for it's design among many collectors that I've read on blogs and Twitter, but until I actually open a pack and hold the cards, I will hold my judgment.


As for the #1 card of Acuna, Jr., I think it looks good...maybe it's the Topps All-Star  Rookie Cup that makes it appealing at first glance.




Whatever the variety of opinions, we'll all find out in two days when Topps officially releases Series 1, on Wednesday,  January 30th.


Until next time... PLAY BALL!

2 comments:

  1. Gotta admit... I'm excited to see what kind of career Acuna has. Have no problems with him being card #1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see a Brave take the top spot. Been a while since Atlanta was relevant. I like the look and it reminds me of the 1982 Topps design. I'll have some in hand later this week and can't wait to get a first hand look.

    ReplyDelete