Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Blog Bat Around...The First Name That Comes To Mind

I saw this interesting post by The Collector where he writes down the first big league ball player name that comes to mind for each team.


This is a wonderful idea, originally posted by Night Owl Cards, and, of course, I automatically had to start my own lists.

I will, as I always do, separate the teams that aren't around anymore...like the Brooklyn Dodgers, the Boston Braves, and the Washington Senators.

First, the current big league teams.

Arizona... Paul Goldschmidt 

Atlanta... Hank Aaron



Yes, you could go Dale Murphy here, but I was watching Hamnerin' Hank the night he hit HR #715 off Dodgers lefty Al Downing to pass Babe Ruth...no question it's The Hammer! 

Baltimore... Brooks Robinson



I saw every game of the 1970 World Series from a hospital bed, watching the Greatest 3rd Baseman ever personally beat the Cincinnati Reds.

Boston... Fred Lynn

Chicago Cubs... Ernie Banks

Chicago White Sox... "Shoeless" Joe Jackson

Cleveland... Bob Feller



Back in the 1980s I met Bob Feller at a minor league game and we talked about his battles with the great Tigers teams, including his showdowns with Hank Greenberg.
A great night in my life.

Cincinnati... Pete Rose

Colorado... Todd Helton

Detroit... Bill Freehan 



If this is your first time here, you may wonder why I didn't say Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Alan Trammell, or Miguel Cabrera.

If you've been here before you completely understand.


Houston... Dennis Menke




I know...you're saying Dennis who?

Menke, a good shortstop, was traded in the winter of 1971 to the Cincinnati Reds... and he played on the 1972 Big Red Machine...that's probably why I remember him so much.

Kansas City... George Brett 

Los Angeles Angeles... Nolan Ryan

Los Angeles Dodgers... Steve Garvey

Miami ... Giancarlo Stanton 

Milwaukee... Robin Yount



"Rockin" Robin is still the greatest Brewers player of All-Time...I don't ever remember him not being good...mostly he was just great, a two time A.L. MVP...at two different positions, shortstop and centerfield.


Minnesota... Harmon Killebrew 

New York Mets... Rusty Staub

New York Yankees... Babe Ruth

Oakland Athletics... Reggie Jackson 

Philadelphia Phillies... Mike Schmidt

Pittsburgh Pirates... Roberto Clemente 




When you watch a player like Clemente you're simply in awe of the magnificence in which he plays the great game of baseball.

When you find out that player has died in a tragic plane crash on New Year's Eve in 1972, you cry...and never forget what he meant to the game, his family, and his country.

St. Louis Cardinals... Stan Musial

San Diego Padres... Nate Colbert 



Yes, Nate Colbert!
The big power hitting 1st Baseman was one of my earliest memories of the Padres, and, heck, Big Nate even played briefly for the Tigers, in 1975.



San Francisco Giants... Willie May's

Seattle Mariners... Ken Griffey, Jr.

Tampa Bay Rays... Rocco Baldelli 

Rocco is my favorite Tampa Bay Devil Rays player,  so this was an easy one.



Rocco was named the new Minnesota Twins manager on October 28, 2018.
Texas Rangers... Toby Harrah

Toronto Blue Jays...  Dave Stieb

Washington Nationals... Bryce Harper 



Long Gone

Brooklyn Dodgers... Jackie Robinson 



I have loved Jackie Robinson since I was a kid, listening to stories of the 1950s World Series clashes between Brooklyn and the New York Yankees from my Uncle Bob.

Oh, how I wish I could've gone to a ballgame at Ebbetts Field.

New York Giants... Bill Terry

Boston Braves... "Wee" Willie Killer

Milwaukee Braves... Eddie Matthew's

Eddie Matthews played for the Braves in Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta... the only ballplayer to do that.

Eddie was on the 1st Cover of Sports Illustrated, 


and, he played on the 1968 World Series Champion Detroit Tigers!



Montreal Expos... John Bocabella

Kansas City Athletics... Hawk Harrelson 

Philadelphia Athletics... Jimmie Foxx

St. Louis Browns... George Sisler

It's quite possible that George Sisler is the most underrated 1st Baseman in baseball history.



Oh, and he played baseball at Michigan... for a man named Branch Rickey.

GO BLUE! 

Washington Senators... Walter Johnson 


The great Ty Cobb once told a reporter that the reason he had so much success against  The BIG Train was that Johnson was scared he hit someone so hard it would seriously hurt them...so he stood right on top of the plate to get an advantage against the powerful right hander.

  ⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️

😎 Well, it took awhile, but there it is. 😎

I hope to read all of the blogs on this topic...if you haven't done one yet I urge you to...you'll have fun for sure!

Take some time to search for all the other bloggers lists, like Jon of a Penny Sleeve for your Thoughts, or Adam from Cardboard Clubhouse ...great job guys!

Again, thanks to Night Owl Cards and The Collector for this, what fun it was was, and, of course, thanks to all who take the time to read my blog.


PLAY BALL! ⚾️

5 comments:

  1. Great list, John! Nate Colbert was a nice addition, I always associated him with Boston, but after looking, I see that he never even played for them... no idea why I thought he did though? Now I kind of wish that I had added some of the defunct franchise's to my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it possible you were thinking of George Scott?

      Delete
  2. Dennis Menke, ha, ha -- you KNOW someone is from a very specific time period when the first player they think of is Denis Menke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see another blogger think of Stieb when it came to the Blue Jays. Also like that Colbert was the first Padre that popped into your head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really expanded the scope of this list, not just with different names but defunct teams. I like it. Totally understand why you'd choose Freehan as your Tiger. And the Brooks Robinson card is one of my all-time faves. I've got to get a copy for myself one day.

    ReplyDelete