Wednesday, April 19, 2017

30 DAY Baseball Card Challenge... Day 11

Day 11 of the 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge is one of your favorite baseball cards from the 1970s.




Sorry that this has taken so long since my last post, I've been battling a terrible cold. ●



The San Diego Padres were not a good baseball team in 1974.


The Padres entered the big leagues as an expansion team in 1969, the 100th Anniversary of professional baseball.



The Padres lost 110 games that first year, and loss 100 games in '70 and '73.



The team was on the verge of being sold and moved to Washington, D.C. , and because of the uncertainty Topps didn't know what to do with Padres cards, causing this to happen.




I have moved so many times in my life, sold off  lots of cards, but somehow my

1977 Topps #32 John Grubb has survived  and it's a card I'll probably have forever.




        🌟🌟🌟 My 1974 Topps #32 John  Grubb WASHINGTON "NAT'L LEA." baseball card. 🌟🌟🌟





Johnny Grubb  was drafted by the Padres out of Florida State in 1971, played with San Diego, the Texas Rangers, and then, in 1983, he arrived in Motown to play for my Detroit Tigers,  we're he played until 1987...including playing a big time role as a pinch hitter off the bench for the 1984 World Series Champion Tigers.


That role...I always loved when I saw Johnny Grubb in the lineup, or pinch hitting...is why I love my '74 Grubb card more than the cards he has as a Tigers player... it's just one of those things.



Tomorrow's 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge is a card  I like from the 1980s... I hope I'm over my cold by then.


Play Ball!!






No comments:

Post a Comment