Tuesday, April 11, 2017

30 Day Baseball Card Challenge... Day 8

Day 8 of the 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge is a baseball card that reminds you of a family member. 




This could be any card of former big league outfielder Bobby Murcer.



Growing up in the late 1960s we played baseball on the sandlots of West Michigan...I loved my Detroit Tigers, my brother Robert, well, he loved the New York Yankees.


When we got together with friends to play baseball as kids, I played catcher and was my hero, Bill Freehan, and my brother, he played centerfield as was Bobby Murcer.


Murcer was a gifted young ballplayer who came up to the Yankees to replace the legendary Mickey Mantle, who retired after the 1968 season.



Robert is still a Yankees fan...all of us have stayed with our teams...my brother Paul is a Chicago Cubs fan, and like me, my youngest brother Joe is a Tigers fan.










                                          🌟🌟🌟 1971 Topps #635 Bobby Murcer 🌟🌟🌟




I chose the '71 Topps Murcer because it's part of my favorite Topps Baseball Card Set of the 1970s.



What's great about the '71 Murcer card is that Bobby's wearing the famous Yankee Pinstripes as he's resting the bat on his shoulders...a great baseball card pose of the day...and you can see the old copper facade from the original Yankees Stadium roof.



Anytime I see anything about Bobby Murcer, be it a baseball card, a post on social media, or old highlights of games from the '70s, I always think about my brother Robert, who was a scrappy little 2nd Baseman in our Little League days in Portage.



The next card challenge will be a favorite card from the 1950s...that should be tremendous... PLAY BALL!







No comments:

Post a Comment