Thursday, April 13, 2017

30 Day Baseball Card Challenge... Day 10

Day 10 of the 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge is one of your favorite baseball cards from the 1960s.



The 1960s...the year that I was born, and the decade I learned about and fell in love with baseball....and baseball cards.


The 1960s were filled with great baseball cards...there are so many awesome cards that can be used in multiple categories of this fun challenge.



As I said, I was born in 1960, and this year I'm trying to start to collect the entire 1960s Topps Baseball Card Set.




I found a few '60s Topps cards at the show here in January, including a card I've loved from afar,  a.k.a. the Internet, for many years...







                              🌟🌟🌟 My 1960 Topps Card #214, Jimmy Dykes 🌟🌟🌟


This has quickly become one of my favorite cards, and, of course, now I want to try and collect a card of every manager to wear the Olde English D!


What makes the card so awesome?

Well, first, there's that cool Tigers banner and logo at the top of the card...

...second, Manager Jimmy Dykes is in that beautiful Home Detroit Tigers uniform and ballcap, ready to read out that awesome lineup of Kaline, Colovito, Cash, Maxwell, Yost...and maybe it's Jim Bunning to start the game...or maybe it's the Yankee Killer, Frank Lary...


...and third, I love the Red and Blue letters spelling out J I M M I E  D Y K E S.

...I'm not sure why Topps spelled his name like that, but that makes the card that much more awesome...to me, anyway.



Jimmy Dykes  was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on November 10, 1896, played for the great Connie Mack, and managed for the Chicago White Sox, Athletics, Cleveland Indians, Cincinnatti Redlegs, Baltimore Orioles, and my Detroit Tigers.



Jimmy Dykes managed the Tigers to a 118-115 record, in parts of 1959 and 1960.




Today's 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge brings us through Day 10...a third of the way through...

... tomorrow its day 11...a baseball card that you like from the 1970s... I've got a few in mind for sure... PLAY BALL!





No comments:

Post a Comment