Monday, March 25, 2019

Happy Baseball Birthday... Travis Fryman

We send out Happy Baseball Birthday! wishes to former big league 3rd Baseman Travis Fryman, who turns 50 years young today!




David Travis Fryman  was born on March 25, 1969, in Lexington, Kentucky, grew up in Florida, attending Gonzales Tate High School in Pensacola.

The Detroit Tigers drafted Travis with the 30th pick of the 1st round of the amateur player draft in 1987, and he made his big league debut with Detroit on July 7, 1990, at the age of 21.

As a Tigers fan, I can tell you that I though Travis would become the greatest Detroit player to ever occupy the hot corner, and I wasn't happy at all when the Tigers traded him to the Arizona Diamondbacks after the 1997 season.

In his 6 plus years in Detroit, Fryman batted .274, with 149 HRs and 169 RBI, winning a Silver Slugger Award , making the American League All-Star team four times.



As for Fryman's baseball cards, I collected them all, of all the card companies, Donruss, Fleer, Topps, Upper Deck.

As with all my cards, I collected not for any financial gain, but because he was my 3rd Baseman. 

Travis Fryman looked like a ballplayer should look, played the game the right way.

Of all his baseball cards, when I hear Fryman's name the one card that comes to mind, my favorite card of his, is his 1993 Upper Deck #683.



How awesome is that card! 

Yes, it actually the Tigers team card, but that matters not, it's always the card that pops into my mind....beautiful artwork indeed!


As for the best card I have of Fryman, it has to be his 1996 Leaf Signature Series autographed card.




If you're a Tigers collector, or have Fryman cards in your PC, I'd like to know what your favorite, and best cards are of Travis.


Happy Baseball Birthday! Travis Fryman...welcome to the 50 club! 

Play Ball! 🐯⚾️




1 comment:

  1. I have a huge Fryman PC. I really like that checklist card that you posted. My favorite is his Archives fan favorite auto.

    ReplyDelete