Monday, March 25, 2019

Baseball Bulletin... March 25, 2019

We've made it to another Monday.

My weekend was up and down, as my arthritis and fibromyalgia ganged up on me several times, including most of Sunday, causing many failed attempts at posting a weekend Baseball Bulletin. 


            ⚾️  Baseball Card of the Day ⚾️



2018 Topps Gallery #63, Justin Verlander 

The Houston Astros came to terms with RHP Justin Verlander on a three year contract extension worth $66 Million dollars. on Sunday, a few days after I received the Verlander card in the mail.

It's been a long winter here in Michigan, and as cold as it's been, we get a little more sunshine each day as we watch the great Miguel Cabrera having a terrific spring in Florida, showing us that the future Hall of Famer is ready to go when the Tigers face the Blue Jay's in Toronto on Thursday afternoon. 





⚾️💻📰  I decided to give The Athletic a try for a week, to see if it's something I want to subscribe to for baseball news.

This will be the first Internet subscription for me, but I have social media friends who share stories and have good things to say about the baseball coverage.



There have been several quality baseball people go over to the site, including Peter Gammons, Ken Rosenthal, Jonah Keri, Brittany Ghiroli, and Jayson Stark.

Stark, one of the best baseball scribes I've read, is the reason...besides the free week and discounted rate...that I went ahead with the trial... was to read Mr. Stark's colum on Cabrera as he gets ready for the season.

📌 Also, another baseball writer I follow on Twitter,  Emily C. Waldon, who does a great job of reporting on the young players in the Detroit organization, wrote a marvelous article on The Athletic on the struggle of minor league players to make a decent living.



🐯⚾️  In other Tigers news, the club announced on Sunday that RHP Jordan Zimmerman will be the Opening Day starter.

Jordan has said many times this spring that he's completely healthy, something that Tigers fans have been waiting for since 2016.




🏀 How many of you made up brackets for this years college hoops tournament?

I always do at least one obligatory bracket, and, depending on how good my Michigan Wolverines are at tourney time, I pick them to advance to the National Championship game...and, of course, WIN!

📌 After the weekend we've reached the Sweet Sixteen, and here's how yours truly is doing so far.


My Wolverines will be playing the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Thursday night, around 9:40 p.m., on CBS.

💻 Not only is it bracket time in college hoops, it's also been fun interacting in the Garbage Pail Kids Twitter Tournament , which has completed four rounds of voting.



Remember, it's not to late to get involved in the GPK Tourney...and, hey, if you're not on Twitter, this is a terrific time to log on to twitter.com   ,create your account, follow Cards From The Attic,  ...and  VOTE! for your favorite cards, interact with other users, and, well, besides a bunch of fun, you might just WIN a cool prize pack!

Well, it's almost 3 a.m. on Monday Morning, time for a few hours of sleep so I can get up and watch the Dan Patrick Show, my favorite sports radio show.

Dan and The Danettes will be on Bleacher Report Live for the first time...I do listen to the show on the Dan Patrick Show APP., but watching the simulcast makes the show much better.




Have a great start to your week...and, as 

always ... PLAY BALL! ⚾️


4 comments:

  1. So, does Miguel reach 500 this season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close. Maybe 30 HRs this year. Probably early 2020, but it would be great if he got to 500 homers and Verlander got to 3,000 strikeouts.

      Delete
  2. Sure hope you're feeling better today. My best friend has to deal with arthritis and it's sad to see her in pain. It's especially harsh during the cold season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Blue! They can definitely go far in the tourney. I have my fingers crossed. I was glad Houston was able to reach a deal with Verlander. He is so good and that contract shows the respect the team has for him.

    ReplyDelete