Saturday, May 4, 2013

Today;s Baseball Birthday...Rick Leach...Go Blue!

Today we say Happy Baseball Birthday! to Rick Leach, the former Detroit Tigers outfielder and All-American quarterback at the University of Michigan.





Rick Leach was born on May 4th, 1957, in, of all places, Ann Arbor.

I guess you can say he was born with Maize & Blue blood flowing through his veins.


Leach was the Tigers 1st round pick, 13th overall, in the 1979 Amateur Draft.

On April 30th, 1981, Rick Leach realized his dream of playing big league baseball for his home team Detroit Tigers.

My Senior Year at Portage Northern High School the Wolverines came to play Western Michigan.

I sat in the stands and never took my eyes off of Leach.

He was my football hero at Michigan, taking the mantle from Rob Lytle after he graduated in 1976.



This famous picture wasn't famous at the time, mainly because no one knew that kid in the end zone running and cheering on his favorite Michigan football player...a young boy who is now well known... none other than former UM quarterback and current Wolverines head coach, Jim Harbaugh.



Leach played three years for the Tigers Leach was released, and in the spring of 1984 he was signed by the Toronto Blue Jays.

I wrote about Rick Leach in my series of my favorite baseball players from every team.

Here's my story on Leach, my favorite Blue Jay.

Please feel free to visit the link of my previous story on Rick Leach, as I don't want to be to repetitive here.


Happy Baseball Birthday! to a true Meeeechigan Man, Rick Leach!


Play Ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment