Thursday, April 25, 2013

Rick Camp

Former Atlanta Braves pitcher Rick Camp has passed away, at age 60.



I saw this story earlier today via CBS Sportsline.com, and after seeing this Tweet, I decided i needed to write about Rick Camp.


Will miss friend and teammate Rick Camp. Sad news. RIP Rick. Good memories. I join with all family/fans w prayers to the Camp family



Rick Camp was a decent pitcher for the Braves from 1976-85.

Drafted in the 7th round of the 1974 amateur draft, Camp made his big league debut on September 15th, 1976.

In nine years, all with the Braves, Camp had a record of 56-49, with a 3.37 ERA in 414 appearances.

Every time I hear a Braves fan talk about Camp it takes me back to July 4th, 1985.

I was in the US Navy in '85, in Meridian**, Mississippi, at the time.

**Meridian is the hometown of both actress Sela Ward and former Boston Red Sox pitcher Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd.**

On that July 4th a few of us gathered to watch the Braves game after the day was done, and I remember going to bed around midnight, or so.

I woke up a couple of hours later to some of my friends cheering loudly.

Remarkably, the Braves game was still on.

Several rain delays, and comebacks on both sides, caused the marathon game to continue.

As I was up and it was the July 4th weekend, I stayed up to watch the rest of the game.

The game ended after 19 innings, a Mets 16-13 win in Atlanta.

In the 18th inning the Braves trailed, 11-10, and with two outs Camp hit a solo HR to left field to tie the game.

Because MLB won't allow baseball highlights, you'll have to watch the home run...here...Watch the HR here. 

It was just one of those crazy games, and even though the Braves lost the game, and he struck out to end the game, Rick Camp was the star of the game.


The Braves Tweeted out this today.


The Braves are sad to announce the passing of former pitcher Rick Camp. Camp is best known for his game tying HR in the 18th inn on 7/4/85.


R I P Rick Camp.




No comments:

Post a Comment