Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Marlins rookie gets hit in first big league at bat today after callup from AA Jacksonville

The Miami Marlins called up young Derek Dietrich today from Double A Jacksonville.

I remember Derek being on local TV here in Jacksonville, showing off his juggling prowess.


Here's some more Dietrich juggling...


The Suns had played a 13 inning contest last night with the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, losing, 5-4.

Dietrich got on a plane in the early hours here in Jacksonville, flew to San Diego, and got to the ballpark in time to start at second base.

I was watching the game, on, and off, and got back to the Marlins broadcast just in time to see Dietrich smack a clean single to right field in the 3rd inning, off the Padres Jason Marquis.

His proud parents were smiling in the stands, and they couldn't wait to talk to the Marlins Allison Williams about Derek's grandpa, former Tigers and Indians infielder Steve Demeter.

I was already happy for the young man, reaching the big leagues at 23, collecting a base hit in his very first at bat when  I heard the Marlins broadcast team talking about Steve Demeter.

I looked at my wife and said " I know Steve Demeter, he played for the Tigers!"



We were leaving for got church, so I had to get in the car and try to remember Steve Demeter.

Then it came to me...Norm Cash.

Demeter played just one year in Detroit, 1959.

In the off season, after playing in just 11 games, the Tigers sent Demeter to the Cleveland Indians for a young first baseman named Norm Cash.

In 71 games with the Chicago White Sox in 1958 and '59, Cash was traded to the Tribe, who then traded Cash to the Tigers for Demeter.



Demeter lasted just four games for the Tribe, was sent down to the minors, and played the rest of his baseball career for various minor league teams.

Norm Cash played for the Tigers for 15 years, 1960-74, and was the Tigers slugging first baseman on the 1968 World Series Championship team.

Cash hit 377 home runs...373 in a Detroit uniform.



Cash played in 2,018 games as a Tiger, collecting 1,793 hits, batting .272 with 1.087 RBI.

In 1961 Norm Cash led the American League in hitting, a .361 batting average.

Detmer was young Dietrich's baseball hero, talking to his grandpa about baseball, and his dream of making it to the majors.

Steve Detmer passed away just months before his grandson's debut.

Steve Demeter passed away this past February 3rd, in Parma, Ohio, at age 78.

I'm not a Marlins fan, but I follow the Marlins because they provide players for the Double A Jacksonville Suns.


I also get every Marlins game on cable TV, and I like Rich Waltz and Tommy Hutton broadcasting the games.

I don't get to see every player that comes through JAX, but I do my best.

This Friday will be my first Suns game of the season, former Atlanta Brave Dale Murphy will be here.

I missed Dietrich, and hope Marlins prospect Christian Yellich is still here on Friday.

If you live in a minor league city, head out to the ballpark.

You never know what future big league may be in the lineup that night.

Just look what happened today.

Congrats to young Derek Dietrich, I hope this is the first game of a long big league baseball life.










No comments:

Post a Comment