Monday, November 20, 2017

Michigan-Ohio State ... Go Blue!

Yes, this is a baseball blog, but as a Michigan Wolverines fan  it's also the greatest week in the college football season for me as my beloved Wolverines battle the arch rival Ohio State Buckeyes this Saturday at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.


My first Wolverines vs Buckeyes matchup as a fan was in 1976, as Bo Schembechler took Michigan to Ohio Stadium and whipped the Bucks, 22-0.





The signal caller on that '76 team was Rick Leach, the first great Wolverines quarterback that I remember.


Leach led Michigan to three straight Big Ten Championships, 1976-77-78, and when he left college football his 38 wins were the most in the history of Intercollegiate Football.





Like many athletes back in the day, Leach was a multi sport star, including playing centerfield for the Wolverines baseball team.


Even though Leach was drafted by the NFL's Denver Broncos, it was his first love, baseball, that Rick chose, and that led to a long career playing in the big leagues.


I've posted a couple of times about Rick Leach here on the blog...


Happy Baseball Birthday! Rick Leach (2013)


My Favorite Toronto Blue Jays Player of All-time, Rick Leach


So, as day one of Buckeyes week is here, I give another shout out to the GUTS and GLUE of Michigan Football, the great Rick Leach.



GO BLUE!

3 comments:

  1. Yes sir, Leach was awesome--and a nice guy when I met him for a signing a couple years ago. Things don't look too promising Saturday but you know I'll be watching. GO BLUE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to meet Rick one day. This will be my 42nd edition THE GAME...Go Blue!

      Delete
  2. I'll be watching Saturday as well. From my seats in the stadium. My first Ohio game. Go Blue!

    ReplyDelete