Thursday, March 16, 2017

My Favorite 1970s Topps Baseball Card Sets

It all started today over at Baseball Prospectus, who's staff got together and ranked their favorite 1980s Baseball Card sets.



I saw the post, thought it was pretty well done, although my favorite 1980s Topps Baseball Card design is the 1983 set.






⚾ In response, Sabr Baseball Cards decided to do the best Topps Baseball Cards of the 1970s.



Of course, being a young baseball fan who grew up collecting every set of 1970s Topps Baseball Cards,  I couldn't just send an email or Tweet for my vote, I had to post about it...maybe you'd like to vote yourself...the information is in the Sabr link above.



Topps cards were the only choice we had for baseball cards in the 1970s...no Fleer, Donruss, or Upper Deck baseball cards to open.




⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾ My Favorite 1970s Topps Baseball Card Sets. ⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾


Oh, of course, I'm using Bill Freehan cards from 1970-77...you know I have to get my hero included.




⚾ #1... 1971

There was always something special about those 1971 Topps cards...that black border allowed the players picture to pop right off the cards, and the players signatures were awesome as well.







The players and team names were all different colors, blue, yellow, red, green...it all came together to make it the best set of Topps cards in the 1970s.



⚾ #2... 1976

This set is a very close 2nd...what made me love these cards were the little ballplayers that Topps put next to the players names on the bottom of the cards, especially the catcher, who looks in in charge of the game.







⚾ #3... 1973

Again, the position players were cool, and I liked the borders around the pictures.

I'm still trying to figure out why Bill Freehan has the ball in his right hand as he's trying to tag out the runner with his mitt.






#4... 1974

The team banners popped right at you in '74!




#5... 1972

The best team name nameplates of any '70s set was this Hollywood marquee look in the '72 set, and the colors popped right at you.







#6... 1975

These were great cards...the players signatures were awesome!







Topps also produced a mini version of the '75 set, very hard to find and collect.








⚾ #7... 1970

Classic pictures in the '70s set, but the Grey borders get the ranking down.






⚾ #8... 1977

Players signatures were back in the '77 set, and the team name at the top was big and bold...I saw those Tigers cards easily opening up the packs.







⚾ #9... 1979

For the only time in the decade, the tradition Topps logo appears on the bottom of the card...a solid baseball card for sure.





#10... 1978

In my opinion, the '78 Topps set was blandest of all the '70s sets...not much has going on.







⚾ The bottom three card sets aren't bad at all, but it's a top 10 list, and something has to be last...the 1978 set, to me, is the bottom set of what was a great decade...my decade, of collecting baseball cards.


Let's hear your rankings...and go to the Sabr Baseball Cards link above to give your opinions to the poll.



Play Ball!


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel almost exactly the same way. I would switch 1975 with 1972, but that's all. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some please help me pick out the best product among those mentioned on the site.
    Best Offset Smokers

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I tell which one is the best product among those mentioned on the list here? Best Pole Saw

    ReplyDelete