Monday, June 6, 2016

This Day in Baseball...Bill Gatewood

95 years ago today, June 6, 1921, Detroit Stars RHP Bill Gatewood pitched the first no-hitter in the history of the Negro National League.




As a Detroit baseball fan, I think it's cool that a player playing for a team in Motown pitched the first ever no-hitter in the history of the Negro National League...anytime the Motor City gets positive recognition it's a good thing.



Big Bill Gatewood  was born in San Antonio, Texas, on August 22, 1881.



I must admit until I opened up baseballreference.com today, I'd never heard of "Big Bill" Gatewood...and I love that we are able to see the history of the Negro Leagues so much in baseball these days.


I need to read up and do more posting on the Stars, and the players like BIG BILL, great players who made their mark on baseball in Detroit.






Play Ball!



No comments:

Post a Comment