Friday, January 29, 2021

Football Card Friday... 1993 Upper Deck Mark Brunell

On Thursday it was announced that my Detroit Lions had hired former Pro Bowl quarterback Mark Brunell to be the teams QB coach under new Lions Head Coach Matt Campbell, a move that certainly surprised me.



(Photo from Detroit Lions Twitter Page Today, 1/29/21). 



As I was going through some cards, I came across Brunell's 1993 Upper Deck RC, #91, and, thus, it's this week's pick for Football Card Friday! 

Mark Brunell is a legend in Jacksonville, where, for the past eight years, he's been the head coach at Episcopal High School, taking the program to unprecedented heights , including guiding the Eagles to the teams first ever playoff win in 2019.


The former 5th round pick of the Green Bay Packers in 1993 came to Jacksonville in 1995 as the Jags became an the 30th franchise in NFL History.


I had the good luck to meet Mark Brunell at the Avenues Mall in JAX, where I was working at Chick Fil-A, and, on a lunch break, took a picture down to have him sign...he was the Jaguars backup QB at the time, behind Steve Burlein....their was, I believe, one person ahead of me in line. 


For the first five years, 1995-99, I had season tickets, and saw every Jags home game, including, the last game of 1995, a win against the Original Cleveland Browns, who's head coach was a guy named Bill Belichek.


I also had the pleasure of watching Brunell and the Jags pummel the Miami Dolphins non a playoff game in 1999...a 62-7 victory...and, the last football game of future HOF QB, Dan Marino.

It was also Jimmy Johnson's final game as a head coach in the NFL.
 

My photo skills continue to be very poor, from a horrible cell phone...I need one of those scanner things.



I saw this card was selling for a whopping $12 on Amazon, but, I'm not selling! 

Have a great weekend, as we prepare for  Super Bowl Sunday in 9 days.


Play Ball! 🏈

5 comments:

  1. Belichick's the poster boy for retreads.

    I had lunch in Jacksonville once. Didn't get any autographs of Pro Bowl QBs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been collecting Packers card since the early 90's and I don't think I've ever owned that Brunell. No way I'd pay $12. But maybe I'll stumble across one in a dime box one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card isn't even in TCDB. Had to Google for a good picture of the card.

      Delete
  3. Someday maybe I will post about my brunell collection. That 93 card is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a popular guy amongst the bloggers, which is kind of odd, but oh well, at least he's good character guy to collect.

    ReplyDelete