Monday, July 29, 2019

Matt Boyd Punches out 10 Mariners, Tigers lose, again.

In what was most assuredly his last start wearing the Olde English D, Matthew Boyd hurled 6 1/3 innings, striking out 10 Mariners, as the Tigers lost, again, 3-2.



With the trade deadline looming on Wednesday, the lefty hurler took the mound in Seattle knowing that he was probably starting his final game as a member of the Tigers.

It was Detroit's 71st loss of the season, one that started with a rebuilding effort that has turned into a absolute disaster.

Boyd was one of the few players who will be remembered in a positive light when this nightmarish year is done, and like former Tigers Justin Verlander, and J.D. Martinez, he just may be headed to a pennant race, maybe in Milwaukee, Houston, or in The Bronx.


I've been a big fan of Matthew Boyd since he was acquired by the Tigers in a trade that sent David Price to the Blue Jay's at the 2015 trade deadline.


Why did I become a fan of the former Oregon State pitcher you say?

Well, it's quite simple, it's my middle name... BOYD.


👉 Unlike J.D. and J.V., at least Topps issued a Topps Living Set card of Matthew before he got away.



In February of 1960, when I showed up in this world, I was named John, after my two Grandfathers and my Uncle John, my Mom's Brother.

Apparently, to keep the confusion as to who they were talking to, about, or at, the use of my middle name, Boyd, became what I was known as in my family, and it's the name my Mom called me until she passed away in 2010.


And so, if this was his last game as my favorite Tigers pitcher, I thank Matthew for wearing the uniform of my favorite team with pride, and I'd like to tell him that I will always cheer him on...unless, of course, he pitches against my team.


Thanks Matty B., good luck in whatever path your career takes you down.


YEAH BOYD! 

1 comment:

  1. Always hate to see your team lose when you get a really good game by your starter. I know it'll be tough to see him go but curious to see where he will land of he gets traded.,

    ReplyDelete