Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Adios Sweet Prince

The Detroit Tigers have traded first baseman Prince Fielder to the Texas Rangers.

In return the Rangers will send second baseman Ian Kinsler to Detroit.

As stunned and excited I was two years ago when the Tigers signed Fielder to a massive nine year, $215 million dollar contract, I'm also equally not surprised by this move.

I always want what's best for my team, and I know Ian Kinsler can play.

I'm assuming the Tigers will put rookie Nick Castellanos at third base, move MVP Miguel Cabrera back at first base, and go after a free agent outfielder like Carlos Beltran.

I hear on social media that the Tigers have made this move for two reasons.

First, the Tigers weren't happy with Prince Fielder's non-hitting in the playoffs the past two years, including his lack of emotion after Detroit's loss to Boston in the American League Championship Series.

Second, the Tigers will save around $76 million dollars, which will be headed into the bank accounts of Cabrera, Max Scherzer, and Justin Verlander.

Goodnight Sweet Prince, we hardly knew you.

No comments:

Post a Comment