Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Fastballs

Happy Memorial Day Weekend !

It's the start of a long weekend, with picnics, barbecues, trips to the beach, and of course, baseball games.

Memorial Day is a time for remembrance of those who served our country.

Many big league players have served in the US Armed Forces, especially in World War II.

There is a great blog, Baseball in Wartime that focuses on Wartime Baseball. Check it out, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks to the Blue Jays Jose Bautista, who, even though he didn't hit a home run, did go 1-3, good enough to extend my FOX Sports Baseball Hot Streak to 2 in a row.

Today I've picked the Giants Tim Lincecum, 5+ K's today @the Brewers.

Holiday baseball should give us some memorable home runs this weekend.

What's the longest, or most memorable HR blast you've ever seen, in person, or on TV?
For me, I was at Tiger Stadium in 1972 with a group of fellow school mates sitting up in the deepest part of the right center field bleachers in Tiger Stadium.

The Tigers were getting beat badly by the Oakland A's when outfielder Jim Northrup came to the plate and sent a rocket headed right for us.

The ball landed about 5 rows in front of me, a titanic blast that I will never forget.

That ball had to travel close to 475 feet, or so, as I was sitting so far up in the bleachers I could  see the street below us.

Check out this MLB.com article on some of the most memorable blasts from the past.

Of course, no one could hit 'em like Roy Hobbs.


Let me know about your most memorable tape measure home runs that you were in attendance for.

Have a great weekend, and please take time out to remember our brave men and women serving our country.

2 comments:

  1. I knew the quiz was too easy when I did it. That is a nice classy link you have to the baseball in wartime story. Nice imagination on his part. Have a great holiday

    ReplyDelete