Tuesday, July 13, 2021

All-Star Game, 2021

In a couple of hours, the 91st Big League All-Star Game will be played, with Max Scherzer of the Washington Nationals taking the mound for the National League at Coors Field in Denver, Colorado. 





Scherzer, the 2013 American League Cy Young Award Winner with my Detroit Tigers, started the All-Star Game that year at Citi Field, in Queens, New York. 


I've watched every ASG since 1970, when, at the age of 10, I watched the game while our family was on vacation, the only time that I can remember watching with my Dad, who wasn't a baseball fan, but let me watch the game.





👉 The Tigers had two All-Stars that year, Left Fielder Willie Horton, a reserve player, and Catcher Bill Freehan, who started the game at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati.  


This year the Tigers have only one representative, lefty reliever Gregory Soto, a first time All-Star.  



Soto was definitely in style with his family today on the Purple carpet show on the MLB Network. 


The Tigers haven't had more than one player in an ASG since 2017, when Justin Upton and Michael Fulmer were selected. 


I'm an American League fan, and although the game has changed over the years, I'll still cheer the Junior Circuit, and it'll be interesting to see the amazing Shoehi Ohtani as he starts...and hits, for the A.L.

👉 Are you an American League fan, or do you root for the Senior Circuit?

👉 Is your favorite player in the game? 



Enjoy the game...Let's Play BALL! 



3 comments:

  1. Great photo of Soto and his family. I'd probably say I'm more of a AL guy but it is close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definite NL guy, so I've been suffering recently.

    Still watching though, here in the 5th inning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soto's son rocking the tennis shoes and suit is awesome! Made me smile. I typically root for the AL, but this year it didn't really matter to me. As for favorite players, Tatis played. But Ramon Laureano and Kurt Suzuki didn't make the roster this year.

    ReplyDelete