Monday, August 15, 2016

Happy Baseball Birthday! Duffy Dyer

It's no secret that I have a baseball love affair with 1960s and 1970s big league catchers...men like Ed Ott, Randy Hundley, Jerry Grote, John Boccabella, and, of course, my hero, Detroit Tigers Gold Glove winning catcher, Bill Freehan.




I'm giving these old catchers a shout out because I saw on baseballreference.com that it's a Happy Baseball Birthday! of one of those great old backstops, former New York Mets catcher Duffy Dyer.









What a fantastic name... Duffy Dyer... how can a old guy like me not remember him...of course I do!



I mostly remember Duffy as a catcher for the Mets, but he also caught for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Montreal Expos, and for the last two years, 1980 and 1981, for my Tigers.



⚾ Don Robert Dyer was born 71 years ago today in Dayton, Ohio.

Duffy played college baseball at Arizona State, and in 1966 was the Mets 1st round draft pick, 9th overall.

Duffy made his big league debut on September 21, 1968, at the age of 23, and was part of the Miracle Mets of 1969, getting a base hit in his only Wold Series at bat.


Duffy played his final game in the big leagues on April 15, 1981, at the age of 35.






Duffy Dyer SABR Page...



Happy Baseball Birthday! Duffy Dyer!


Play Ball! ⚾


1 comment:

  1. I remember him for having an enormous head on his 1969 rookie card, while the other 2 players appeared normal-sized.

    ReplyDelete