Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Baseball Hall of Fame welcomes Ken Griffey, Jr and Mike Piazza

On Wednesday, January 6th, 2016 the Baseball Writers Association of America  voted two new members into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, former Seattle Mariners centerfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. and former New York Mets catcher Mike Piazza.


99.3% of all the ballots cast had Junior Griffey's name on it, setting a HOF record previously held by HOF pitcher Tom Seaver.




Junior was elected on his first year of eligibility, and will enter the HOF wearing a Mariners cap on his plaque.



86% of all the ballots cast had Piazza's name on them, catapulting the former All-Star into Cooperstown in his 4th year of eligibility.



Piazza will have a Mets cap on his plaque, joining Seaver as the only Mets players in the HOF.



Earlier this week I cast my Baseball Bloggers Alliance HOF vote, and it included both Junior Griffey and Mike Piazza.


I was particularly happy to see Piazza voted in by the BBWAA, as I've bern a huge Piazza fan since his rookie year with the Dodgers.

Griffey, Jr was a future HOF player tge day he stepped into the Mariners lineup, and he had the sweetest swing I've ever seen.



I have, over the years, collected some baseball cards of both Junior Griffey and Mike Piazza.




This is my favorite card of Junior.






Junior Griffey posing...I do believe..at Tiger Stadium in Detroit. 


I believe this was Junior's first TOPPS baseball card, because of the TOPPS Rookie Team logo on the bottom left of the card.



This is my favorite card of Piazza.





This card is awesome, it's plain, it's simple...Mike Piazza is a catcher for the Dodgers. 




Some other cards I've gotten over the years...no special autographed or memorabilia cards, just some cool cards of two great baseball players. 












Congratulations to both Ken Griffey, Jr and Mike Piazza in their receiving the ultimate compliment for any big leaguer, election into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. 


PLAY BALL! 

No comments:

Post a Comment