Friday, October 25, 2013

My Gold Glove Award picks

Today Rawlings and Major League Baseball announced the Finalists for this years Gold Glove Awards.

Below are the three nominated players at each position with a brief comment and my choice.

I must admit that I haven't seen every player nominated, so Ill do my best in those cases.

American League

Pitcher

Mark Buehrle, Blue Jays
R.A.Dickey, Blue Jays
Doug Fister, Tigers

***Who really knows who the best pitchers are  defensively?
We only see them every five days.
That said, its a Detroit Tigers homer/fan pick for me.
WINNER...Fister.

Catcher

Joe Mauer, Twins
Asalvador Perez, Royals
Matt Wieters, Orioles

Joe Mauer has been a great catcher for a long time.
Even though he spends time at first base, Mauer is still the best backstop in the A.L.
WINNER...Mauer

First Base
Chris Davis, Orioles
Eric Hosmer, Royals
Jamed Loney, Rays

Eric Hosmer wins the Gold Glove simply off his play against the Tigers.
Great young player.
WINNER. ..Hosmer

Second Base

Robinson Cano, Yankees
Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox
Ben Zobrist, Rays

Every time I see the BoSox play I marvel at the passion and skill level of 5' 8" second sacker.
WINNER... Pedroia.

Third Base

Adrian Beltre, Rangers
Evan Longoria,  Rays
Manny Machado, Orioles

Get ready for many years of Machado and the Gold Glove.
Brooks Robinson's 16 Gold Gloves are safe, but I could see 10+ for Manny.
WINNER...Machado

Shortstop

Alcides Escobar, Royals
Yunel Escobar, Rays
J.J. Hardy, Orioles

Ok, I really have no idea who the best shortstop not named Jose Iglesias is.
Two guys named Escobar?
Gotta have two awards this year.
WINNER...the Escobar's

Left Field

Yoenis Cespedes, Athletics
Andy Dirks, Tigers
Alex Gordon, Royals

I'm a Tigers fan and have no idea why Andy Dirks, a part time player, is nominated to win a Gold Glove.
The Tigers struggled with the Royals all year.
See the trend...Hosmer, Escobar, now Gordon.
WINNER. ..Gordon

Centerfield
Lorenzo Cain, Royals
Jacoby Elsbury, Boston
Adam Jones,  Orioles

Adam Jones beat out Tigers CF Austin Jackson last year for the Gold Glove.
Why isn't Jackson nominated again?
Jones is the best A. L. CF not named Austin Jackson.
WINNER...Jones

Right Field

Nick Markakis, Orioles
Shane Victorino, Red Sox
Josh Reddick, Athletics

The past two years I've watched as the Tigers battled the A's in the A.L. Division Series.
Reddick made unbelievable plays almost every game.
WINNER...Reddick

Ok, now the National League

Pitcher

Patrick Corbin, Diamondbacks
Zack Grienke, Dodgers
Adam Wainright, Cardinals

OK, tough one here.
Don't know that I've seen Corbin pitch much.
The other two, I've see quite a bit, because of netwok TV games I'm sure.
WINNER...Corbin...of course.

Catcher

A.J. Ellis,  Dogers
Russell Martin,  Pirates
Yadier Molina, Cardinals

Really?
WINNER...Molina

First Base

Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks
Adrian Gonzales, Dodgers
Anthony Rizzo, Cubs

I've seen all of them play, and the young man playing for the Cubbies gets my vote.
WINNER...Rizzo

Second Base

Darwin Barney, Cubs
Brandon Phillips, Reds
Mark Ellis, Dodgers

Both Dodgers named Ellis are nominated this year.
How do the Cubs continue to lose?
WINNER...Barney

Third Base

Nolan Arenado, Rockies
Juan.Uribe, Dodgers
David Wright, Mets

I've never seen Arenado play.
Juan Uribe is still playing?
Didn't David  Wright play Captain America in the movies?
WINNER...Wright

Shortstop
Ian Desmond, Nationals
Andrelton Simmons, Braves
Troy Tulowitzky, Rockies

From what I saw this season,  the kid for Atlanta will be winning quite a few Gold Gloves.
I have his rookie card.
WINNER...Simmons

Left Field
Carlos Gonzalez,  Rockies
Sterling Marte, Pirates
Eric Young, Jr., Mets

Marte in left this year was a huge part of the Pirates first winning season in two decades.
WINNER...Marte

Center Field

Carlos Gomez, Brewers
Andrew McCutcheon, Pirates
Denard Span, Nationals

The best outfielder in the National League, regardless of position, plays in the same city, for the same team, that Roberto Clemente played for.
WINNER...McCutcheon

Right Field

Jay Bruce, Reds
Jason Heyward, Braves
Gerrado Parra, Diamondbacks

The Braves have another farm system gem in Heyward.
I like his play every time I see him.
WINNER...Heyward

There you have it.

I know many people will take issue with my picks.

Please fell free to comment.

Remember, be nice, its just my opinion.

Play Ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment