Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My 2010 All-Star Ballot

The balloting for baseball's annual All-Star Game constantly fuels fans and the media alike with controversy about the selection process, and the many deserving players who are left off the roster of both the American League and National League teams. 
This year is no exception.

In the American League , New York Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira has received over 1.2 million votes...for a guy hitting just .229, with 9 HR's and 39 RBI's. 



Now, Teixeira isn't the vote leader at first, the Minnesota Twins Justin Morneau, who has over 1.4 million votes is the leader.


Now, Morneau is having a good year, leading the American League with a .350 batting average , with 13 long balls and 39 RBI's, but the man who's 3rd in the voting, the Detroit Tigers Miguel Cabrera, who has received a little over 1 million votes, is having an MVP season. 


Cabrera has walloped 19 homers, #1 in the league, he has 56 RBI's, #1 in the league, and Cabrera is third in the American league with a .330 batting average, trailing only Morneau, and KC Royal Billy Butler.


In the Senior Circut, the Florida Marlins Hanley Ramirez is the leader, but the second spot belongs to the Philadelphia Phillies Jimmy Rollins, who has played in only 12 games, but has received over 992,000 votes.
 


The Rollins vote totals are what frustrate many, including myself. if a guy is hurt, and is not playing, his vote totals should be deleted until he's healthy.

Give players a week, max, and then the vote total is done.












I have a procedure to voting...
First, I will only vote a few times a week, allowing player who have a slow start to the season heat up. That allows a guy who was only hitting .200 in early May, but gets hot in mid June, to receive some of my votes that he deserves.

Second, I will not vote for a guy who spends a long time either on the bench, or on the Disabled List. If you don't play, you won't get any of my votes.

Third, I will not stuff the ballot box for every player on my favorite team, the Detroit Tigers. I will vote for player son the Tigers who deserve votes if they are playing well. In early May I voted for Tigers rookie center fielder Austin Jackson...he was the A.L. Rookie of the Month for April...and I have voted for Miguel Cabrera all 25 times...look @ his numbers and tell me why he shouldn't be the starter in Anaheim.

And lastly, I will not vote for admitted steroid users...sorry A-Rod fans, I voted for Alex Rodriguez when he was bombing away in the 1990's and into the 2000's, so he should be grateful that he got those votes from me.

Here's a sample of a ballot that I submitted for the 2010 All-Star Game


American League


C...Joe Mauer, Twins                                                           
1B...Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
2B...Robinson Cano, Yankees
3B...Michael Young, Rangers
SS...Derek Jeter, Yankees
OF...Ichiro Susuki, Mariners
         Scott Posednik, Royals
         Vernon Wells, Blue Jays

Write In...Brennan Boesch, Tigers


National League


C...Pudge Rodriguez, Nationals
1B...Albert Pujols, Cardinals
2B...Martin Prado, Braves
3B...Placido Polanco
SS...Hanley Ramirez
OF...Jason Heyward, Braves
         Andre Ethier, Dodgers
         Ryan Braun, Brewers


OK, there's a sample of the players that I've voted for among the 25 ballots that I was allowed to on line. I also voted at the ballpark a few times, and hope to get back to fill out some more.
        
If you've voted for the All-Star team, please let me know who you voted for, and how you vote.


No comments:

Post a Comment