Saturday, August 1, 2020

Tiger Killers, Volume 1... Whit Merrifield

I was playing baseball quizzes on Sporcle, reading my blog roll, thinking about ideas for future posts, when it came to me... Tiger! Killers


🐱⚾ Tiger killers are, simply, players on opposing teams that, every game, of every series, in a win, or a loss, just smack the ball all over the park, or, they pitch like they were the reincarnation of Cy Young.


Whit Merrifield is the current leader of all Tiger 🐯  Killers, as was evident this past week when Whit's KC Royals came to Comerica Park.




All Whit Merrifield does is hit when he sees the Tigers....he most certainly circles the trips to Motown when the schedule is released.


😷 In his 5 years vs the Detroit Tigers, this is the autopsy report.

70 Games

290 At Bats/313 Plate Appearances

102 HITS
41 RBI
65 Runs Scored

11 HRS / 26 Doubles/ 7 Triples

175 Total Bases

.998 OPS


Oh, and at Comerica Park-

37 Games

54 Hits
9 HRs
24 RBI

37 Runs Scored

.342 Average

.371 On Base %

.648 Slugging %

( Thanks to Baseball Reference for the stats)



🥇 The 31 year old from North Carolina led the American League in hits in both 2018 and 2019.



Whit is also a versatile player.

In his 5 years in the big leagues, Merrifield has played 391 games at his natural position at 2nd base, but he's also played 152 games between all 3 outfield positions, and has played 1st, 3rd, and has also been the Royals DH.


➡️  I'm a big fan of Whit, an unusual thing for a player who beats your team like he does my Tigers, but I look at it like Merrifield's a poor man's Mike Trout, just not with all the hype...he's what I call, simply, a ballplayer. 



🤔 Who's your teams nemesis? 

Let me know in the comments section, or, maybe we could get a good ole blogaround going on all the great blog sites out there.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to read my posts, it's much appreciated. 


Play Ball! ⚾

1 comment:

  1. I've been casually following Whit ever since I pulled his autograph back in 2018. At the time, I didn't really know who he was... but the guy has really made a name for himself over the past two seasons.

    ReplyDelete