Saturday, April 8, 2017

30 Day Baseball Card Challenge... Day 7

Day 7 of the 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge is a baseball card that you bought in person, and the reason why.




My Dad worked for a man named Boyd Alan Sutton, the owner of L.G. Haig Shoe Stores in the 1960s and 1970s.



Because of the respect that my Dad had for Mr. Haig, I was awarded his middle name of Boyd, which, because of my being named John after my two Grandfather's and Uncle, my family simply called me Boyd...and it's stuck with me my entire life.




Bob Boyd  played nine seasons in the big leagues for the Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Athletics, and Milwaukee Braves. 




                                              🌟🌟🌟 My 1954 Topps Bob Boyd 🌟🌟🌟



I wish I would've known about Mr. Boyd while he was alive...he passed away in 2004 at the age of 84.



I first came across his name a few years ago on baseballreference.com , looking, as I do every day, for possible Happy Baseball Birthday! posts for the blog.



I found my 1954 Topps cards of Mr. Boyd at a card show here in Kalamazoo back in January,  accidentally,  going through some older cards and looking for 1960 Topps cards ( the year I was born).



I'm starting to acquire 1960 Topps cards to try and build an entire set...it will take quite a long time.



I had to download the card back because of my failure at capturing the back using my tablet.









I plan on collecting every card of Mr. Boyd...I'll blog about every card I acquire.




Play Ball!




No comments:

Post a Comment