Thursday, February 18, 2016

Baseball Bulletin...February 18, 2016.

It's baseball time again fans, pitchers and catchers have reported to the Cactus League in Arizona, and the Grapefruit League here in Florida.




I've always used the 1967 baseball season as my starting point to being a Detroit Tigers fan, so this year will mark the 50th year I've been a big league baseball fan.








My Uncle Bob started taking me and my brother Robert to old Tiger Stadium in Detroit in 1967, so even though I probably knew about baseball and maybe even the Tigers, before '67 , that has always been the year I've used when talking baseball history with other fans.




Baseball fans have endured months of frozen winter days of Hot Stove talk, on Twitter, blockbuster trades, and free agent signings.



I'm starting "Baseball Bulletin" here on the blog, a way to talk about things going on across the baseball landscape.


                              ⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾


Here are a few notes I came  across this week in the world of baseball....




⚾ The Southern League announced four new members of the leagues Hall of Fame , including Peter Bragan, Jr., who ended 31 years of ownership of our Jacksonville Suns last fall.




Pedro and his Dad bought the Suns just before the 1985 SL season, and brought exciting family fun to our city, including 5 SL Championships, and future big league ballplayers like Andres Galaraga, Randy Johnson, Gabe Kapler, and Giancarlo Stanton.








Congratulations! to all these fine contributers to baseball in the Southern League.



 ⚾ Detroit Tigers manager Brad Ausmus has named veteran RHP Justin Verlander to open the season, his 8th Opening Day start in his Tigers career.



⚾  Mets RHP Matt Harvey reported to Mets camp in Port St. Lucie and stated that he's open to signing a contract extension with the ballclub.



⚾ Mets RHP Jennry Mejia was permanently banned from the big leagues after his 3rd positive test for PED's.



⚾ The Pittsburgh Pirates will celebrate the 1979 "We are Family" World Series Champions by wearing these awesom throwback uniforms and caps on Sundays.



                          




⚾ The Tigers announced that the clubs announcers will alternate between radio and television throughout the year.



Mario Impemba, Rod Allen, Jack Morris, and Kirk Gibson will cross over from TV to broadcast games on the Tigers radio network , and radio guys Dan Dickerson and Jim Price will leave the radio booth to do games on Fox Sports Detroit.



⚾ My 2016 Baseball Prospectus arrived in the mail this week.








I'll be reading throughout the 594 page book and posting reviews on the analytical Bible trying to better understand the Sabrmetrics of the game.





It's going to be a struggle for me, but I'm going to do my best to embrace, I'm hoping, the understanding, at least, of the brianiacs of baseball.




Here's to another great season of baseball, a sport that has given me passion in my life since I was a little boy playing catch with my Uncle Bob,  dreaming of playing for my heroes in the Motor City.





Play Ball!



No comments:

Post a Comment