Saturday, November 28, 2020

#Freehan79 ... Day 10... The Card

Welcome to Day 10 of my countdown to the 79th Happy Baseball Birthday! of my favorite baseball player, Bill Freehan, tomorrow, November 29th.


                                The Card.




We all have one in our baseball card collections, that one card that means more to you all by itself than all of your other cards put together.

For me, acquiring The Card wasn't easy, a journey that would take me years to find.


1️⃣ The first card show If ever heard of was a small show in Battle Creek, about 20 minutes east of Portage, Michigan.

πŸš— I had a 1968 Mustang at the time, so I hopped in and drove to the "Cereal City" looking for the Bill Freehan RC, a 1963 Topps #466.

I looked around, found a few Tigers cards that I wanted, and found out that Freehan RC was a "High Number" card, and would be difficult to find.

How true that statement was, as it would be two years, and 1,200 miles until I found my holy grail of cards.

In Jacksonville, Florida, I saw an ad for a card show in nearby Orange Park, and off I was, cash in hand.

The first card table I went to I asked for the '63 Freehan, and the guy told me that he didn't have it at his table, but if I came to his card shop on Monday, he'd have the card for me.

Two days later, for $10.00, the 1963 Topps Bill Freehan RC, #466, was mine. 


39 years later, The Card, my Holy Grail, is still my favorite baseball card, and that will never change.


🐯 The list is about to be redone, after I was gifted a must have from my wish list that became real... however, the Top card won't change.


In 2002 Topps put the '63 Freehan RC into it's Topps Archives and Topps Archives Autographs, or, at least, the BEST part of the card.


πŸ’₯ My Princess bought the card for me one year for Christmas, and it's a terrific part of my collection.

(πŸŒ›It's late at night, almost 11 pm, so I'm using the TCDB image.)

πŸ¦ƒ Before I sign off, I'd like to send out a special thanks to Fugi, who's commented regularly on my #Freehan79 posts, and who mentioned me on his blog tonight.

I'm extremely grateful to Fugi for his comments, and for his terrific, and, very colorfulblog posts.


Hope you had a restful Saturday after Turkey Day and Black Friday, and, aw always, I'm blessed that you've taken part of your day to check out this post.



Play BALL! 🐯⚾






2 comments:

  1. Loved this series. It's inspired me to dig deeper into baseball and walk away with some interesting trivia. Your Freehan is in really nice shape. The one card in my collection that I tend to treasure more than others is my 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody looks happy to be on that card, must've been that old-fashioned competiveness, they just couldn't appear cheery around the enemy.

    ReplyDelete