Monday, July 20, 2020

Tigers Opening Day Starter--- Yeah, BOYD!

Over this past weekend Detroit Tigers Manager Ron Gardenhire announced that Matt Boyd will be the Opening Day Starter this coming Friday in Cincinnati.





Boyd will be the first left hander to start the season for Detroit in five years, when lefty David Price started against the Minnesota Twins at Comerica Park.


The last Southpaw to start for the Tigers on the road for Opening Day was in 2006, when Kenny Rogers took the mound in Kansas City.




Boyd will be only the 8th lefty to pitch on Opening Day for the Tigers since 1970, joining Price, Rogers, Mike Maroth, Justin Thompson, Frank Tanana, Dave Roberts, and Mickey Lolich.





As a Matt Boyd fan, the announcement that my favorite pitcher, on my favorite team, will open up the season is, well, as cool as it gets.


The Reds have a very formidable lineup, which includes former Tigers slugger Nick Castellanos.


I'm hoping that Matt can get off to a good start against Cincinnati, figuring that pitchers probably won't get more than 10 starts this year.


Maybe, just maybe, a team like my Tigers, sill surprise a few people and win 25 games, in the Covid-19 shortened 60 game season.


Give me your predictions for your team in the comments.


Play Ball! 🍚


4 comments:

  1. Some of us remember Oil Can Boyd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      Oil Can is proudly represented in the BOYD Binder.

      Thank for the comment.

      Delete
  2. I suck at predictions... but I think the A's and Padres each have a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs. Hopefully things go smoothly for the league and the players, umpires, and everyone else involved are safe. If that happens and the NY Yankees avoid winning #28... I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I won't be watching. I tuned in this week only to find Dish has taken Fox Sports Detroit off the air. They can't agree on a price. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete