Monday, December 4, 2017

Happy National Cookie Day!

I saw that today is National Cookie Day, and so, of course, that automatically sends up a big smile from me for the thought of delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies.




There's absolutely no telling how many Chips Ahoy! cookies Ive eaten in my 57 years, but I'm pretty sure somebody got to retire based on my consumption.



This being a baseball blog, well, I thought that I should do a shout out to former Kansas City Royals second baseman Cookie Rojas. 


Octavia Victor Rojas  was a 4-time All-Star with the Royals in the early 1970s, and it seemed like he and fellow infielder Freddie Patek got to every ball my Detroit Tigers hit.


Cookies 1971 Topps baseball card is one of my favorite of the decade, a picture that pretty much shows how he played.





How awesome is this picture of Rojas turning a double play against the New York Yankees in the Bronx.


Cookie collected 1,660 base hits in 16 seasons with the Cincinnati Reds, Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals, and Kansas City, batting .263.



So, tonight, when your thinking about the upcoming baseball season,  grab a couple of your favorite cookies in celebration of Cookie Rojas...or even Cookie Lavagetto...its your choice.




PLAY BALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment