Monday, November 21, 2016

#Freehan75

Starting today I'm celebrating my baseball hero, Bill Freehan, who's 75th Happy Baseball Birthday! will occur next Tuesday, November 29, 2016.






Since its rivalry week in college football, and the Michigan Wolverines will travel to Columbus, Ohio, to play the hated Ohio State Buckeyes, I'll start off the week with end Bill Freehan on the 1960 Michigan team.




                                     Bill Freehan is #88, 2nd from the right.




In 1960 Bill was the winner of the Meyer Morton Award, and annual award given out to the most promising player of of spring football camp.



The award, first given out in 1925, was named after Mr. Morton after his passing in 1948.


Among the many Morton Award winners on this list are former President of the United States, Gerald R. Ford, former Green Bay Packer Ron Kramer, and current head coach Jim Harbaugh, who won the award as a young Michigan QB in 1984.



Bill played in all 9 games for the Wolverines football team in 1960, catching one pass, for 11 yards.





1960 was Bill's only season  in Ann Arbor, as he signed a contract to play big league baseball for his hometown Detroit Tigers in 1961.



I think it's kinda cool that 1960, his only season as a Wolverine, is also the year that I was born.


It's like my hero and I were on ment to be.


⚾ On social media for the next 8 days I'm asking all Tigers fans, and baseball fans in general, to share their memories and thoughts of Bill by using the hash tag #Freehan75 in all posts.

Thanks to all who have  and will, participate in  celebration of my baseball hero on his 75th #HappyBaseballBirthday ! ⚾


Play Ball!

2 comments: