Monday, December 31, 2018

Wolverines to Giants

While reading the blog-a-thon over at Sport Card Collectors I couldn't help but remember the connection between football in Ann Arbor, Michigan and the Big Apple from the mid 1980s until the mid 1990s, and I had to go dig out some old football cards.


Here's just a few of them.

Jumbo Elliott




Chris Calloway





Jarrod Bunch





Tyrone Wheatley





Amani Toomer





The reason that this small pipeline between my favorite college football team, the Michigan Wolverines, and the New York Football Giants strikes a happy cord with me is that at the time it was happening my stepson loved the Giants, and we would collect the cards together.


Michigan also had a tie to the Giants in the late Ron Johnson, the former Wolverines running back who still holds the single game rushing yard game, in 1968, vs Wisconsin.



Finally, my favorite old school NY Giants football player was Hall of Famer Frank Gifford, who was married to the lovely Kathie Lee Gifford.



So, thanks to Matt and his blogging today, I got to relive the good times of being a stepdad, watching great football, and, of course, collecting cards.


I hope you got involved in the blog-a-thon and had fun reading and commenting about sports...and non-sports cards.

Have a safe and Happy New Year's!

Play Ball!

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Kathie Lee has an autograph in that product. That would be a pretty cool collectible.

    ReplyDelete